Instead of wishful thinking, try blissful thinking!



What would you do with the money if you won a million-dollar lottery jackpot? 

You won the jackpot!




Perhaps you are facing a financial hardship and your response is, “That’s wishful thinking!”  Often, the “wishful thinking” response has an attitude that even thinking about such a fortune is not worth it. Although the odds of winning such a jackpot is slim, this does not mean your vision for a better future for yourself should be slim also.

There is another way to think.

I propose, “blissful thinking.” Blissful thinking does not play down adversity. It requires an honest look at where you are and where you want to be. It is willing to imagine, create, and believe in your own value. It has an attitude that says, “Even if things don’t look good now, there is SOMETHING better out there for me!”

I offer a story about a well-known entrepreneur to illustrate blissful thinking.

In 1928, during contract negotiations with his employer, Universal Studios, Walt Disney learned that the company had retained the rights to a cartoon character he created. Along with losing his rights to the character, several of Disney’s employees were hired from him. As a final insult, Universal demanded Disney take a 20% budget cut. He refused. Facing such setbacks, Disney could have considered salvaging his career “wishful thinking.” Instead, Disney, endowed with a whimsical imagination, created a new cartoon character with the help of his remaining employees and business associates. The character, Mortimer Mouse, debuted later that year in a short film titled, “Steamboat Willie”.




Steamboat Willie, 1928


Mortimer Mouse became a star as the film was one of the first of its kind to coordinate sound and movement with character. Prompted by this success, Disney created more Mortimer Mouse short films. The cartoons brought humor and optimism to audiences at a time when the United States economy was collapsing from the Great Depression. The cartoons also generated a profitable business and merchandising fortune for Disney.  Over 80 years later, the character, better known now as Mickey Mouse, is one of the most iconic cartoon characters of all time. Mickey Mouse, along with his pals Minnie Mouse, Donald Duck, Daisy Duck, Goofy, and Pluto, became foundational members of the Walt Disney Company, now worth $169.3 billion. 

Mickey and Friends




Perhaps this quote from Disney best summarizes his outlook and rise above adversity:
Walt Disney on adversity

 
I believe Disney’s story and quote capture the essence of blissful thinking:  imagining greater possibilities and stretching yourself to create something new. Walt Disney accomplished both by creating blissful, loveable characters who have cheered millions around the world.

Here is the “kick in the teeth” I experienced. In less than a year, I lost two teaching positions, exhausted my finances to make ends meet, and had to move to start over again. Although I saw nothing blissful about my circumstances, I began to see these experiences as opportunities to re-create myself. I turned to my faith for guidance and started assessing the skills and experiences I acquired from my employers.  I have several years of experience teaching and writing, so I explored combining the two in entrepreneurial ways. There were moments when leaving my comfort zone and thinking about doing something new seemed like wishful thinking. However, today, while I have not yet achieved a million-dollar jackpot in earnings, my financial situation has improved. Just as important, my vision is bigger and bolder than ever because I am driven by the belief that my persistence and success could one day help someone else.

Tinker bell grants a wish!


My challenge to you is to develop blissful thinking!  You will be astonished to learn who you can become and the great things you can accomplish under adversity. Sign up here to learn ways you can reassess yourself when facing financial or other setbacks. If Disney could build a fortune with imaginary characters, what more can we imagine for our real lives?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog